• Programs
  • LIHEAP - Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program
LIHEAP - Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program

LIHEAP - Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program

If the resource information above is incorrect, please notify your local HUD field office.

Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) is a federal program meant to assist the households with less income to pay their home energy bills and other such expenses. In addition to the home energy bills, the program also assists you with weatherization, minor energy-related home repairs, and emergency crises. The Department of Health and Human services program administers this program.

The LIHEAP program aims to reduce the risk of health and safety programs arising from unsafe heating and cooling situations and practices. The qualifying low-income households can get one-time financial assistance from the program to pay the heating or cooling bills.

To be eligible for receiving assistance under the program, the applicants must have an income less than 150% of the poverty level or 60% of the state median poverty level. Some states have expanded their programs to include more households and provide them with the desired assistance.

The program also serves households whose one member of the family is part of federal programs such as Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), Supplemental Security Income (SSI), and Food Stamps. As far as the eligibility criteria of LIHEAP are concerned, every state has different requirements.

You can reach out to the local LIHEAP office to find out about the rules and requirements to receive assistance from LIHEAP.

The program provides the required financial assistance to low-income households who are suffering from disability, are seniors, or have families with young children. The program also provides additional funds in emergencies.

The households receiving assistance from LIHEAP can spend a portion of their funds on things like fixing improperly sealed doors or windows, installing insulation, and fixing inefficient furnaces or air conditioners.

You can apply online for receiving financial assistance from LIHEAP as some states accept online submissions. In case your state does not accept online submissions, then you can visit the local LIHEAP office to find out how to apply for the LIHEAP program.

Frequently Asked Questions

Statutory and Regulatory Authority

Arrow Down Sign


Section 202, Housing Act of 1959

  • 12 U.S.C.A. § 1701q

Section 811, National Affordable Housing Act of 1990

  • 42 U.S.C.A § 8013

Select HUD Regulations

  • 24 C.F.R. Part 247 (evictions)
  • 24 C.F.R. Part 891 (supportive housing for the elderly and persons with disabilities)

For more information, search to contact your local HUD .