• Programs
  • LIHWAP - Low Income Household Water Assistance Program
LIHWAP - Low Income Household Water Assistance Program

LIHWAP - Low Income Household Water Assistance Program

If the resource information above is incorrect, please notify your local HUD field office.

As the name indicates, Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) is for households who cannot afford to pay water bills. Households with lower incomes and high water bills can expect to receive financial assistance under the LIHWAP program. The American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) provides funds for the LIHWAP program which in turn helps families to afford safe drinking water for them.

To be eligible for the assistance under LIHWAP program, one member of a household must be a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen. The other eligibility requirements for the LIHWAP program include:

  • Income equal to or less than 150% of the federal poverty level
  • Have disconnected household services or a current outstanding bill
  • Liable for paying the water bill

As every state has its eligibility requirements, it’s better to reach out to the local LIHWAP office to know about the exact eligibility criteria. The households can receive assistance for both drinking water as well as for wastewater services.

Application process

For applying to the LIHWAP program, the applicants need to provide several documents including:

  • Identity proof of each member of the household
  • Valid social security numbers
  • Residence proof
  • Income documents
  • Water or wastewater bill

If you are applying for assistance under this program for the first time, it is preferred to apply in person. The disabled or senior individuals can seek convenient and safe intake locations from CAP agencies to apply for the program.

Also, the program does not provide direct grants to individuals but to the household utility company. Initially, the program was restricted to only those who cannot afford to pay their water or wastewater bills but in 2022, the program got extended and includes all households who have pending water bills and are eligible for the program.

Despite the program being expanded, the priority will be to give funds to those who have had disconnection from water services.

Frequently Asked Questions

Statutory and Regulatory Authority

Arrow Down Sign


Section 202, Housing Act of 1959

  • 12 U.S.C.A. § 1701q

Section 811, National Affordable Housing Act of 1990

  • 42 U.S.C.A § 8013

Select HUD Regulations

  • 24 C.F.R. Part 247 (evictions)
  • 24 C.F.R. Part 891 (supportive housing for the elderly and persons with disabilities)

For more information, search to contact your local HUD .